Mosquitoes are the ultimate nuisance whether you want to enjoy your backyard in peace or maintain a safe, pleasant business environment for your customers. In Baltimore and suburban Maryland, mosquitoes are active throughout the warm season, which typically runs from late May through early October.
Infestations can be particularly aggressive in our humid Mid-Atlantic climate, especially following periods of heavy rain. In ideal conditions, a single female mosquito can lay more than 100 eggs in one night. If you want to nip your mosquito problem in the bud, our pest management professionals can help.
What You Should Know About Mosquitoes
According to experts, there are more than 3,000 mosquito species worldwide, and nearly 200 are found in the United States alone. While most mosquitoes reside in remote wooded areas where they cause few problems, others establish prodigious colonies around suburban homes.
Two of the most worrisome varieties in our area are the yellow fever mosquito and the Asian tiger mosquito. These invasive species carry several serious diseases, including Zika, West Nile virus and encephalitis. Given these concerns, it’s more important than ever to protect your family and customers from these bloodsucking insects.
Our pest management professionals perform a variety of treatments designed to manage mosquitoes throughout their lifecycle. One-time services are ideal for treating your property at the beginning of the season or before a special event. We also offer monthly mosquito control services that provide ongoing protection. Check out some of your options.
• Nonchemical controls are your first line of defense against mosquito infestations. Our experts can assess your property and provide personalized recommendations for eliminating mosquito breeding sites and larvae hatcheries.
• Misting is one of the most effective methods for eliminating adult mosquitoes that nest in dense foliage. Homeowners can choose from one-time treatments and permanent installations. These systems may provide short- or long-term results depending on the active ingredient.
• Larvicides, such as Bacillus thuringiensis, stop mosquito infestations at the source. This natural soil-dwelling bacteria prevents aquatic larvae, commonly called wigglers, from maturing. Larvicides are ideal for treating standing water that can’t be eliminated.
• Lawn treatments featuring biodegradable granules are useful for repelling nesting mosquitoes. Formulas may feature botanical ingredients, such as lemon eucalyptus oil, or EPA-registered insecticides. These products are also helpful for controlling fleas and ticks.
• Traps typically use heat, light or chemicals, such as carbon dioxide, to attract mosquitoes to a secure collection container. These systems are more effective than bug zappers, and they’re less likely to affect beneficial insects and nontarget species.
Atlantic Pest Control Inc. is a family-owned company with more than 35 years of experience. If you’d like to learn more about our mosquito treatment services or if you’re ready to request a quote, call our Baltimore office today. One of our experts will be happy to help.